Computer Guided Implant Placement Coventry
We are pleased to offer our patients dental implants in Coventry at our Torcross practice.
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS?
One way of replacing a missing tooth is with an implant.
Essentially it’s an artificial replacement for a tooth root made out of Titanium.
Implant treatment normally has two stages.
- Initially the implant is placed in the jaw. This process is completely painless and most patients have no or very minimal discomfort afterwards.
- After a period of healing anywhere from 2 to 6 months following this, the crown or in some cases a bridge or denture is made and attached on top. Sometimes it is possible for temporary teeth to be attached to an implant at the time of fitting.
While dental implants have been available for some years and many practices provide the service, most are still placed by the dentist by estimating the position and angulation at the time of placement.
Manually placing implants this way is effective but does introduce some risk and inaccuracies which are now avoidable with current technology.
Rather than simply estimating depth, angulation and position of the implant, Software, Scanning technology, 3D Printing as well as 3D x-rays (CT scans), combined allow us to plan the procedure in great detail before the implant is placed.
The stages involved are as follows;
Initially, a 3-dimensional x-ray of the area (a CT scan) is taken which is imported into the software.
Example Image of CT scan imported into the software;
A very accurate impression is taken and then scanned into the software which is then “merged” together with the CT scan;
The software permits us to place the implants very accurately in 3 dimensions “virtually” safely avoiding any critical anatomical structures;
Once the planning of the implants is completed, an appliance (a guide) is 3D printed either in metal or plastic which allows for the transfer of the information from the software to the patient’s mouth:
The implant guide showing the associated planned implants:
The guide is then designed on the software;
The finished guide, 3D printed, and ready to use;
There are three main benefits of this technique of implant placement:
- Increased accuracy with more predictable results. Because everything is planned in the software virtually the implants cannot be placed at the wrong depth or angle.
- Increased safety as the information gained from the CT scan and planning software prevents damage to vital structures.
- Reduced surgery time when placing the implants. One can sometimes place the implant in a “keyhole” type procedure without the need for any sutures.
WOULD IMPLANTS BE RIGHT FOR ME?
First, you should decide whether implants could be right for you. If you’re looking for dental implants in Coventry or the surrounding area, contact us to arrange an implant consultation with Dr Parvis who places the implants at the Torcross Dental practice.
Dr Parvis will access your suitability for treatment go through the options and give you an overview of the implant process and answer any concerns or questions you may have.
If you still decide to consider implant as an option, you will be supplied with some reading matter relating to your treatment, and a written consent form outlining the entire procedure before making arrangements to start the treatment should you wish to proceed.